Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Spiced Crock Pot Chicken


I am posting this on Tuesday because my Monday was insane!
 Kids may have been in school but I had plenty to do! I ended up working late so I am really glad that I decided to do a crockpot chicken so my husband had food to eat when he came home from school finals!

Here is the recipe for the Spiced Crockpot Chicken

1- Whole Chicken
1- yellow onion chopped
1 T- EVOO
1 t- sea salt
1 t- paprika
1 t- pepper
1/2 t- chili powder
1/2 t- cayenne pepper
1/2 t- cumin
1/2 t- thyme
1/2 t- oregano
1 t- garlic powder

Chop your onion and place at the bottom of your crockpot.



Pat your chicken dry and take out giblets.  Keep giblets to make chicken broth.  
Combine spices and olive oil to make a paste.  Lather your chicken with the paste and then place on top of your onions in the crockpot breast side down.  I obviously did not put this chicken breast side down but I think it would stay juiciest with the breast down, backside up. 



Let cook for 5-6 hours.  Do not add any juices. 

When chicken is done it should just fall apart when you try and pick it up.  

Pair with Roasted Asparagus and Mashed Cauliflower :) 

If your chicken is cool enough and you have enough meat use this chicken for chicken tortilla soup.  
Using a whole chicken never goes to waste.  When I go to put my left overs in the fridge I go ahead and sort out the skin, bones and juice into one bowl and then the meat into another so I will be ready in the a.m. to make my broth for my chicken tortilla soup! 

Mashed Cauliflower
1 whole head of Cauliflower
1 clove of garlic
1 T- EVOO

Place a medium pot of water over medium high heat.  
Cut your cauliflower into florets and chop your garlic. 
Once your water is boiling add in florets and garlic to the water. 
Boil for 7-10 minutes or until Cauliflower is very tender. 
drain and put into a food processor, vitamix, or mixer
Add in olive oil slowly until consistency is like mashed potatoes. 
Add sea salt and pepper to taste.

Roasted Asparagus
1 t- EVOO
sea salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Wash and cut your asparagus. I just snap the ends off where they break to ensure all of the tough bottoms are off. 
toss your asparagus in olive oil, salt and pepper 
Place them on a baking sheet and cook for 10-12 minutes or until the tops are a bit browned. 


Enjoy!!







No comments:

Post a Comment